Monday, January 17, 2011

The Sewing Saga Begins

Let the sewing begin! After New Year's was finally here and gone, I got
to thinking and realized I hadn't made a New Year's Resolution. What in life did I want to learn, change, or do differently?! I pondered the idea of working out and then quickly came to my senses. Me, working out, with two kids, a full time
teaching job, Master's classes online, and eMINTS training? No, working out was not an attainable or realistic goal. After all, I look at it this way... my work out is running up and down the stairs on a daily basis at work(because I teach in the basement) and doing laundry constantly at my own home!!! What was it that I wanted to accomplish I thought and then it came to me...

learn how to sew!

So, after not much thought at all and deciding I was going to learn how to sew, I googled fabric stores and ordered two yards of material. One of the yards was the adorable pink and white polka dot fabric that is shown above. I then googled how to sew a pillow dress and got great results. There were tutorials, pictures (in steps), and even videos! Wow I thought; I can do this (even though I didn't own a sewing machine and had NEVER threaded a machine). I then borrowed a machine and couldn't figure it out so my aunt graciously offered for me to borrow her machine. I didn't want to buy a machine without knowing if I could sew (the doubt started to kick in). Well after a ten minute "lesson" from my aunt, I got busy and after taking 3 stops to feed the baby, play with the two-year-old, and change the laundry, this is what I created....




The oh-so-cute pink polka dot pillow case dress was born!!! Now that I have achieved what I set out to do I decided I would tackle another pillow case dress in the 2nd fabric that I bought which is below. Pictures to come at a later date!!!



P.S. This fabric is MUCH, MUCH, more adorable in person!!

No comments:

Post a Comment